10 August 2013

Terrapin Wake N Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Reviewed

Let's face it. I'm trying to wait out the heat wave here in Paradise, so I'm reviewing a few more beers than I normally do. Let me know if I'm boring you.

Ever since I listened to Terrapin's Brian "Spike" Bukowski interviewed on The Brewing Network, I've been obsessed with this beer. I used his recipe to make a coffee wheat porter. The BN intereviewed him a second time for the Jamil Show, and he gave out the tweaked recipe that I haven't tried yet. So when I realized I could route us through Athens, Georgia on the way home from NHC, I was hoping to find some of this. Satan and I found it at Five Points Bottle Shop in Athens, and made my wish come true!

Appearance (0-3): Pours up jet black with a thin tan head that quickly fades into nothingness, leaving a few bubbles on top. 3 points

Aroma/Bouquet (0-4): Huge nose with chocolate, hints of coffee. A little alcohol heat. Amazing aroma! 4 points

Taste (0-10): To quote Colonel Sherman T. Potter, "Not enough 'o's in smooth to describe this." Slightly sweet, with a chocolaty coffee flavor. Full bodied with medium carbonation. Just enough hops to cut the malt sweetness a bit, it finishes with chocolate on the back of the tongue. 10 points

Overall Impression (0-3): This one is so smooth that the alcohol sneaks up on you and makes gravity's pull much more apparent when you stand. If I had to find a flaw it would be the lack of head, but oatmeal will do that to you. Extremely drinkable. Many coffee stouts are acrid and bitter. This blend created by Bukowski is sold by Jittery Joe's in Athens. I should have stopped there for coffee the day we left, but "coulda, woulda, shoulda. . ."! 3 points

Total: 20 points

Kids, this is my new favorite beer and one of the few I would call perfect. I may even have to move to Georgia.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 17:47

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home