06 August 2013

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout - Reviewed

Another of my NHC beers.

One of the great things about traveling through Kentucky is picking their barrel aged beers.  I don't know how anyone can keep up with all the companies that barrel age stouts. I found Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout in Lousiville. Lexington Brewing and Distilling makes both beer and whiskey, and I have had their Bourbon Barrel Ale at quite possibly the best restaurant in the region, the Talbot Tavern in Bardstown. That sent me on a quest for a few sixers to bring home.  I should have looked a bit closer.

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout

Appearance (0-3): Pours up a jet black, opaque, with a thin, light tan head. I would have like a thicker head, but who doesn't. 2 points

Aroma/Bouquet (0-4): Smells of vanilla, and bourbon, with a hint of roast/coffee.  A little subtle, but smells delicious. 4 points

Taste (0-10): Hints of roast, coffee and vanilla.  There's a lingering sweetness, with no apparent hop aroma.  Full bodied, low to medium carbonation. Silky and smooth. Not too impressive, but good. Very good.  9 points

Overall Impression (0-3): Smooth, if a little sweet. I can't pick out the bourbon barrel, so, I'm not too sure it is a barrel aged stout.  It's a little too subtle, in my opinion. But it is extremely drinkable! 2 points

17 points

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:00

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home