28 October 2009

Dixie Cup Scores - And an Important Announcement!

I searched the envelope my Dixie Cup scores came in high and low, but no $50 bill attached to a note asking me to stop brewing. There was a nice letter that closed with the line "it was a pleasure to drink and judge your beer."

I have a score sheet that suggests otherwise.

Old Archaic - The judges agreed that it was mediocre. It's infected, they said, lacked a malt component, and fermented too warm. Average score: 25.

Aud's No Scufflin' Ale - Fucked by the lack of hops! Both said it was a very good English barley wine, but a pretty crappy American Barley wine. Average score: 26.

H2DC (Imperial Mild) - Too hoppy. One judge called it Hop Juice (nice name!) and it would take a better man than him to drink it. The other called it an American Brown Ale. Average score: 22.5.

Saison Été - Peppery citrus notes, and not carbonated enough. One judge said the citrus and pepper were added (yep! According to the recipe, sir), not yeast driven, and should have been fermented warmer. Other said it lacked complexity. Average score: 34. And, according to the cover sheet, it made it to the second round. There is no score sheet to prove it, however.

So, with great reluctance, I am announcing my retirement from competition. That's right, you're gonna have to beat up on someone else from now on. And, since each comp cost about $60 for shipping and entry fees, I will have enough money to brew 5 more batches of beer next year! Win-win for me!

So, with tongue firmly planted in my cheek:


posted by hiikeeba at 17:19

10 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I understand how you feel. The last time I entered a beer, I got score sheets back that conflicted so much with each other that I can only conclude that the three judges where drinking completely different beers. I've since decided that its only my opinion that matters.

4:29 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

Judging is a tough job. I don't doubt that for a minute. I had been entering my beer for the feedback, to see what I could do better. All I have learned so far is that it costs about $25 to ship my beer to a competition.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Mike said...

There are no score sheets at the second round of Dixie Cup. At 890some-odd entries, the competition is stiff and getting to the second round is an honor itself.

6:32 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

I didn't know about the second round score sheets, or lack thereof. Thanks. Every competition is different.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Dean Brundage said...

Sorry you had a bad experience. When judging I try to give advice on improving the beer to the brewer if I am able.

I judged some of this year's *English* barleywines. Don't think I judged any of your beers, but if I ever get the pleasure of drinking your brews I'll try to give constructive criticism, if it's welcome.

7:31 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

I appreciate the judges who give good feedback. But I also don't want to give the wrong impression: I enjoyed entering Dixie Cup and I even enjoyed reading the scores. Some of them bewildered me, but I enjoyed them. This is just a culmination of the last year and a half of competitions. Frankly, I ain't good enough to win. So in the words of Bart Simpson: "Can't win, don't try."

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Push Eject said...

It's obvious you need to brew better beer, man. Step up! What one thing about your process can you improve this month (or season, or year)?

Or screw it and decide not to care.

Push E.

9:02 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

Oh, I'll keep improving. Just won't be sharing. But don't panic, contest organizers. I'll still buy the shirts.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Jim Johanssen said...

Jeffrey, I was a judge (certified BJCP Judge) at this years Dixie Cup and I agree with you on the issue regarding judging sheets from the second round and best of show rounds being sent back to the entrant. I have personally complained about how the additional feed back is not only good, but it is expected. I would also like to have a three judge minimum per panel be observed.
Remember it only the judges opinion of the beer, and in the first round is done with many beers entered in the wrong category messing things up a little.
PS. I may have judged your Mild Ale and is that your Kid ? *<;0
Jim

7:54 AM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

Again, not trying to dis the judges or anything like that. When one judge says too roasty and the other says not roasty enough, as a brewer, I can't improve on the beer. Judges judge what they taste, and some are more sensitive to certain flavors than others. Each competition I enter i get score sheets back that should be dressed as a devil and an angel: one saying one thing, the other saying another. As Steve said first, "its only my opinion that matters."

Sadly, I didn't enter a mild ale. I wish that was my kid. He would've been packed in the box with my entries!

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home