14 October 2009

Re-evaluating Rice in Beer

Greg Koch's video, "I am a Craft Brewer" contains the line "I don't use rice in my beer." But don't assume that all craft brewers do the same.

For many years, the use of rice has been reviled as an evil attempt by the MegaBrewers to reduce the flavor in beer. But rice has been making a comeback. Patrick Rue, owner of The Bruery uses rice in his beers instead of sugar to boost the alcohol content of his Belgian-inspired beers, according to an interview on The Brewing Network. I borrowed that idea when I did Old Archaic.

Here's an article about rice's new popularity.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:44

3 Comments:

Blogger assurbanipaul said...

Absolutely nothing wrong with using rice in beer. It can be valuable addition to lighten the body.

Unfortunately, the big brewers have tainted the otherwise respectable reputation of this innocent grain.

12:01 PM  
Blogger marcus said...

Green Flash B. and many other breweries here in San Diego use rice in some of their beers. It's mainly used to help make the beer crisp. When used in large quantities it can make the beer harsh and give it unwanted flavors. Do not be afraid to use it.

1:33 AM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

I use rice in my Belgians and my Barley wines instead of sugar. It's just the attitude of the comment in the "I'm a Craft Brewer" video, and it's repeat in the "I am a Home Brewer" clone that irritates me.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home