16 January 2011

It Has Begun. . .

While checking out the homebrewing forums on BeerAdvocate.com, I ran across someone asking for advice on how to sanitize wood chips.  These comments caught my eye:

chefr0b: . . .From what I've read, the alcohol content will help to stave off infection. But I would boil them first in water, drain and then add the sanitized chips. Dogfish Head just did something similar with Cedar wood for their Grain 2 Glass beer. . . [and in response to another comment] . . .are you saying Dogfish Head is wrong? They clearly showed the process of preboiling the cedar in that episode to ward off infection.


We are seeing the first steps in the creation of the Gospel According to Sam.  I knew that damn show would do this. . .



Friar:  ...And Saint Sam raised the beer up on high, saying, "O LORD, bless this Thy beer that with it Thou mayest make Thine enemies very drunk, in Thy mercy." And the LORD did grin and the people did put into their fermenters the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu...

Brother Maynard: Skip a bit, brother.

Friar: ... And the LORD spoke, saying, "First shalt thou take the Holy Wood, then shalt thou boil it for three minutes, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt boil, and the number of the boiling shall be three. Four shalt thou not boil, neither boil thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then strain thou thy Holy Wood into thine fermenter." Amen.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:14

5 Comments:

Blogger Gonz said...

He has certainly captivated a certain audience. I'm just taking notes!

3:51 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

No doubt the dude is talented. But the blind devotion. . . ?

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haters gonna hate...

3:37 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

I don't hate Sam, anonymous. (C'mon we're all friends here. You can leave your name.) I like Sam. I just find it odd that people will take everything he does and make it gospel. So I guess the best answer is, Lovers gonna leave anonymous comments rather than have a discussion...

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Mark (Anonymous) said...

I just don't have a blogger account, I'm not anonymous for any fear of retribution :), and I'm playing around. I actually appreciate your humorous perspective.

I'm no expert, but the reality is that there will be some major pros and major cons to having a brewer/personality like Sam C. becoming the pseudo face of the craft beer world. As a Texan who likes good beer, I simply can hope that one pro might be that I get access to more and more beer from across the country (TABC be damned!).

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home