10 January 2011

CYBI Dead Guy Clone - Tasting Notes

If you are a regular reader of this blog, then you know I never, ever let a beer come to full maturity before I finish the keg.  Fortunately, thanks to a cold over the holidays, I have quite the stockpile of brews to drink: a little Pecan Porter, a quarter of a keg of Oatmeal Stout, full kegs of Janet's Brown, Saison du Permienne, and CYBI Dead Guy Clone.

Just before the cold hit, I purchased a six pack of Rogue Dead Guy from my local beer store, and thought, "What the heck?"  I tapped the uncarbonated beer for a quick taste test.

In the photo, the commercial example is on the right.  As you can see, my version is cloudy and a tad darker.  It has more alcohol in the nose, and tastes muddled.  The commercial product has a nice, crisp grainy flavor with a hop flavor that snaps right out at you.  There is a bit of alcohol in the beer as well, but not too much.

If I were a guessing man, and I had a clue what I was talking about, I would say that the differences are water based.  My water is very hard, and Rogue's is softer. I will rebrew it, and next time, cut my city water with some distilled water--say about 5 gallons.

Or it could be because I suck at brewing.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:32

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I see a cloudy beer all I can think of is muddled flavor. I'd recommend a fining agent like gelatin. You can use it on carbonated beer. Once clear, you can see what your beer really tastes like. Tasty.

11:15 AM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

I added gelatin about four days before kegging. This was the first pull from the keg. I hasn't cleared up a lot, but does look better.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home