16 November 2010

Brew Masters to premiere on Discovery Channel - November 21

Does this sound familiar? "Squeel! Sam Caligione has a TV show!  Squeeel!"

The home brewing community is hovering on the verge of one huge, collective orgasm as it waits for Sam Caligione's new show on Discovery Channel, "Brew Masters" to premiere in a couple of days.  The story has been Tweeted, Shared, Liked, Dugg, Stumbld, Technoratied, and swooned over on every home brewing forum across the Internet.  I'll be watching, but I hope it won't be like that Beatles Live at Shea Stadium album, where you couldn't hear the band for the screaming and "I love you!" shouted by the audience

Frankly, I find the blind adoration of Caligione a little disturbing.  I have a friend whose highlight of his trip to GABF was getting a picture taken with Caligione.  My friend said Caligione didn't hesitate when asked for the photo.  He actually makes time for every beer geek that seeks him out.  I like that.

I've tried some Dog Fish Head beers, and have always walked away underwhelmed.  DFH120?  Nastiest beer of the face of the planet, just behind Corona.  Raisin D'etre?  Meh.  Most of the Dog Fish Head beers I've tried, I liked, but not enough to hunt them down.  I think they are overrated.

I've read a couple of his books, and he sounds like a nice enough fellow.  I particularly enjoyed Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home. It was inspirational to me. I also liked Brewing Up a Business: Adventures in Entrepreneurship from the Founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. I've even linked to his plug for Sabco. I thought it was impressive how he started his business on a single Sabco system.  I know I'll be inspired by the new show, but I just can't get all that worked up about him.

I am working on an essay about craft beer inspired by Caligione's essay in Beer and Philosophy: The Unexamined Beer Isn't Worth Drinking (Philosophy for Everyone) in which I take issue with his definition of a craft brewer.  Perhaps I am letting my disagreement color my opinion.  Perhaps my mangina has some sand in it.  Perhaps I'm jealous of those people who enjoy Dog Fish Head's beers.  Perhaps I am just an ass.  But, for God's sake people, this isn't the Second Coming!  It's beer's version of Ace of Cakes.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 10:38

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home