08 November 2008

Smoked APA Small Batch Experiment

I have written before about my Mesquite Smoked Pale Ale, and how good it smelled when it was boiling, and how it was kind of bacony when I kegged it, and how it tasted of plastic, then later of Band-Aid.

I submitted it to the Alamo City Cerveza Fest and The Cactus Challenge. While neither batch of judges sent me a $50 bill and a note begging me to stop brewing, the first contest scored the beer in the mid 20s, and the second scored it in the low 30s. The folks in San Antonio tasted the Band-Aid, the folks in Lubbock called it astringent.

I have a theory that the plastic/Band-Aid flavor is part of the mesquite flavor. So I am going to brew the beer in a one gallon batch, and test my theory. Here's the recipe:

Smoked Pale Ale 1 gallon batch
1.5 lb 2-Row malt
.2 lb Crystal 60
.2 lb smoked 2-row malt
.1 lb Cara-Pils
.25 oz Cascade 6%/60 min
.5 vial of WLP001 Cal Ale yeast

Thanks to James Spencer of Basic Brewing Radio, who reminded me what issue of Brew Your Own his article about small scale brewing was in.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:17

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I had a very similar problem with a double-chocolate stout last year. Tasted great when put in the fermentor, tasted great when I bottled it, but about half the bottles ended up with a "plasticy" flavour. It's been a complete hit or miss whether a bottle of it is drinkable or not. It was very disappointing and I still have no idea what caused it. Good luck with your experiment. I'd love to try a mesquite smoked beer sometime.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home