14 November 2007

Hookarm's Golden Ale - Tasting notes

On the verge of slipping into depression over the loss of the vanilla porter, I decided to finally tap the Hookarm's Golden Ale.

While I can't pump my fists and shout "I'm da man!" I can say it's not bad. But compared to the porter that's not saying much.

Hookarm's Golden Ale


Appearance (0-3): brownish amber, cloudy with floaties--looks like hops flakes, and a moderatly thick head. 1 point
Aroma/Bouquet (0-4): Malt sweetness with no hop aroma. 1 point
Taste: Hop/Malt Balance (0-4): Malt sweetness replaced with bitter hops on back of tongue. Slightly sweet. 2 points
Aftertaste (0-3): hops linger lightly on the tongue. 2 points
Mouthfeel (0-3): Nice mouthfeel. Light but not wimpy. 3 points
Overall Impression (0-3): Again, this is an old recipe. Looking through my hindsight glasses, I thought this was a much better beer. But, and this is a big but, my technique has slipped a bit. There are floaties in the beer. But it tastes good. So I will drink it. I will enjoy it, and I will contemplate improvements. 2 Points
Total: 11 points

Depression still looms, but has receded on the horizon.

Actually, the reason this isn't hoppy is that I left out an ounce of hops. I found it in my pantry. Ooops.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 18:21

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home