22 November 2013

FBC Pioneer Porter Clone vs. FBC Pioneer Porter

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the face off between Fredericksburg Brewing Company's Pioneer Porter, and the clone I made from an old article from BYO Magazine.

On the left is the current title holder, a pint of FBC porter fresh from my growler.

On the right is the contender, my clone attempt!

Let's get ready to rumblllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle!

FBC Pioneer Porter
Pioneer Porter Clone
APPEARANCE
Dark brown with red highlights and a tan head
Darker brown with red highlights and a small off-white head. (It's undercarbonated, but I couldn't wait!)
Winner: FBC Pioneer Porter
AROMA
Chocolate aroma, hint of roast
Chocolate aroma, hint of roast, but a bit fainter
Tie
TASTE
Medium body, sweet chocolate flavor, roast hardly detectable
Thin body, faint sweet chocolate flavor, roast hardly detectable 
Winner: FBC Pioneer Porter

So in a two to one decision: I lose! At least at the end it's still a drinkable beer.

I could add more black patent to color the head, but I'm not sure how to fix the body and flavor issues.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:00

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home