06 June 2013

Paint Rock Bock - Tasting Notes

I tried the Paint Rock Bock a few weeks ago, and thought it was a little too chocolatey, as I mentioned earlier. Three weeks later, the chocolate has dropped out.  A few days ago, after the roofers finished replacing the roof after the hailstorm, I offered them a quick glass. Turns out, they were Bud Light guys. Go figure.

Paint Rock Bock

Appearance (0-3): Perhaps a bit too dark for the style. Pours up a dark brown with brownish red highlights and an off white head that falls quickly to a thin layer of bubbles. Slightly hazy, but it's hard to tell because it is almost opaque. (2 points)

Aroma/Bouquet (0-4): Faint chocolate notes, a hint of hop bitterness, and some alcohol. There's also a slight metallic tang. (2 points)

Taste (0-10): Starts with a hint of chocolate, some hop bitterness. A faint chocolate note, and a slight tartness. There's also that metallic flavor.  I sometimes get this in Shiner Bock, so I'm wondering if it's a result of the malt combination. Once you get past the first few sips, it's not so noticeable. It's medium bodied with a nice carbonation. Finishes with a hop bitterness on the back of my tongue. (7 points)

Overall Impression (0-3): While it might do well with more age (thank goodness I'm going to NHC in a few weeks), it's not bad. After the first few sips, I hardly even notice the metallic tang. I don't have any Shiner Bock here at the moment, so I can't say if it's close, but I can tell it's similar. I'm going to rebrew it, but I have to figure out this metallic taste out.  Maybe do all Vienna malt next time? The first time I brewed this, i sent it in to NHC, and one of the judges said it was metallic. (One judge said it was too complex, and the other said it needed complexity. Sigh. (2 Points)

Total: 13 points

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:00

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home