20 March 2013

Red Ristra Chile Beer Tasting notes

Let me tell you, getting this beer to pour was a huge PITA. First, all the CO2 leaked out the lid, emptying my tank. Then I had to replace all the o-rings and replace the CO2 tank.  Finally! I was able to get the keg to hold CO2. Now a couple of weeks later, I got beer!

Red Ristra Chile Beer

Appearance (0-4): Pours up a slightly hazy red with a thin off-white head that dissipates rapidly. It leaves a nice Belgian lace as you drink. I'd like the head a bit thicker, but at this point, I'll take any carbonation at all! 2 points

Aroma/Bouquet (0-3): Some malt aroma, but with a roasted pepper aroma.  Not bad.  2 points

Taste (0-10): The pepper acts like hops, cutting through the malt sweetness. So it might be a little more bitter, but it does have a nice flavor. It is medium-bodied with a nice carbonation mouth feel. It's not until the end of the pint that you notice a subtle tingle on the sides of your tongue. 6 points

Overall Impression (0-3); After a half dozen pints, I am honestly not sure how I feel about this beer.  It's good and I like it. But part of me thinks it would be better as a porter. 2 points

Total: 12 points

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:00

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home