02 January 2011

Aud's Pinwheel Peach Cobbler with Shiner Holiday Cheer

My Great-Aunt Audrey (who raised my dad and Satan's mom's mother after she passed from breast cancer in the 40s, and is the inspiration for the name "Aud's No Scufflin' Ale") made a great peach cobbler.   I doubt she would have ever thought about adding Shiner Holiday Cheer to the recipe, though.  I thought the peach and pecan flavors in the this dunkelweiss might add something to the dish.  Aunt Aud was one of those cooks who didn't necessarily follow a recipe, so, the recipe I got from my mother, that she got from Aunt Audrey, is a little unusual:

"Approximately 6 cups of peeled and sliced peaches, or use frozen.  Mix with a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon.

"Roll out pie crust [See?  Any modern cookbook would have made me start with a pie crust.  When Aunt Aud wrote the recipe down, she assumed you would know how to make a pie crust.] or use two prepared crusts.  place peaches on crust in a thin layer.  Roll up pie crust, keeping the peaches in place.  With a sharp knife, carefully cut into 1 - 1 1/2 inch slices and lay down in a baking dish.  Sprinkle with additional sugar, dot with butter.  Place any remaining peaches between the pinwheels.  Add water [I used Shiner Holiday Cheer.] to baking dish about half to three quarters up the side of the pan.  Bake at 350° F until golden brown and bubbly.  Serves approximately eight."

I wound up using a bottle of Holiday Cheer and about a half cup of water.  Here's the before and after:
And after:

It turned out good.  My father said it could use a little nutmeg, maybe a quarter teaspoon.  I think the baking directions should change to 375 for 45 minutes to and hour.



Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 11:14

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've made this one other time it was deelish!
I will add the nutmeg as you said above this time and back at the higher temp. Thanks!

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home