12 July 2010

The Return of Belgian Bombshell

Here's what I wrote about this same time last year:

Fired up after NHC, and itchy to brew for the first time in a month, I went to Austin Friday and bought ingredients for Belgian Bombshell. The recipe is in the May/June 1009 Zymurgy.

Belgian Bombshell
11# Belgian Pilsner
.5# CaraPils
.5# Munich Malt
.5# Flaked Wheat
1 oz Magnum 14.4%/60 min
.25 oz Saaz 5.8%/5 min
.5 oz coriander seed
1 cardemom pod, crushed
1/2 tsp Irish Moss
WLP 550 Belgian Ale
Mash at 152° F for 60 minutes. Sparge. Bring to a boil and add the Magnum hops. Boil 45 minutes and add the Irish moss. Boil ten minutes more and add the Saaz and the spices. Boil five minutes, then cool. Pitch yeast.

Somehow, when I put this recipe into BeerSmith, I didn't adjust the boil time on the Saaz hops, so I added them at 90 minutes. I knew I had to add hops at 5 minutes, so I kept the Magnum back, until I went to add Irish Moss. Then I realized what I'd done. Scheiss! So my beer has .5 ounces of saaz at 60 minutes, 1 ounce of Magnum at 20 minutes, and the last half ounce of Saaz a flameout. I mentioned this to Satan who responded: "LMAO, sounds like business as usual to me!!!!! Macht's nicht! So in the Macht's Nicht spirit, I went ahead and pitched the yeast.

The heat here in Paradise has been a little on the brutal side, and I don't have a dedicated fermentation fridge. I will ferment this in the coolest room in the house at 75 F.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 09:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home