28 June 2009

Belgian Bombshell

Fired up after NHC, and itchy to brew for the first time in a month, I went to Austin Friday and bought ingredients for Belgian Bombshell. The recipe is in the May/June 1009 Zymurgy.

Belgian Bombshell
11# Belgian Pilsner
.5# CaraPils
.5# Munich Malt
.5# Flaked Wheat
1 oz Magnum 14.4%/60 min
.25 oz Saaz 5.8%/5 min
.5 oz coriander seed
1 cardemom pod, crushed
1/2 tsp Irish Moss
WLP 550 Belgian Ale
Mash at 152° F for 60 minutes. Sparge. Bring to a boil and add the Magnum hops. Boil 45 minutes and add the Irish moss. Boil ten minutes more and add the Saaz and the spices. Boil five minutes, then cool. Pitch yeast.

The heat here in Paradise has been a little on the brutal side, and I don't have a dedicated fermentation fridge. I will ferment this in the coolest room in the house at 75 F.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 06:43

3 Comments:

Blogger THE MERKIN MAN said...

I would love to hear how this one came out. Brutal heat here in Georgia too, but the Belgian yeast love it. Don't be scared to let that beer get into the 80s.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I brewed this beer once already and it's one of my all time favorites. I bought ingredients for a 2nd batch, but today is brewday and I can't find the magazine. I'm so grateful you dropped in your post. Ferm temp on original batch probably not much into the 70s and it came out pretty clean, without too much Belgianiness. I also inadvertently bought trappist ale yeast WLP 500 instead of the 550.

Again, thanks and I will be back to read more.

2:18 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

I fined this with some gelatin on Wednesday night. I will be kegging it this weekend. The sample I had on Wednesday was tasty!

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home