28 June 2010

Tripel 'Round the World Tasting Notes

I have been reluctant to post the recipe for this beer, since Sam Caligione makes money from it. I have now decided that this recipe from Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home needs some anotation.

Tripel 'Round the World
1# Cara-Pils
10# Light liquid malt extract
1 oz Saaz/30 min
14 oz Chinese rock sugar/30 min
1 tsp Irish moss/20 min
1 oz East Kent Golding/20 min
1/2 oz Saaz/10 min
14 oz Chinese rock sugar/ 5 min
1.5 oz chamomile
1# brown sugar dissolved in 2 cups of water/day four
WLP 530 Abbey Ale Yeast

I brewed the beer according to directions, and was disappointed. The final beer, which feermented around 80°F for three weeks, wound up under attenuated, and far too sweet. There is lots of promise in the flavor of the beer: the Chinese rock sugar adds a subtle flavor, and the late brown sugar adds another layer. I should have added another vial of yeast when I added the brown sugar.

I will brew this again, thought the base will be all grain, and I will have at least a 1.5 liter starter ready to go.

I do have to drink 5 gallons of a beer that is too sweet, but at least the flavor is complicated enough that it won't suck.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 09:07

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home