16 May 2008

Brother Spuds Scores

In March, Brother Spuds scored a 35 out of 50 at the Bluebonnet Brew-Off. At Nationals is scored 21 out of 50.

The Brother Spuds scores still floor me. Either everyone else's was really, really good, or, at least, the first five in our flight were. Or we sent a bad bottle. It's a real head scratcher.

One judge said it was smoky with plastic flavors. He also detected hints of fruitiness.A second judge found apple notes in the aroma. He found the beer too dry. By the way these two judges disagreed on whether or not the beer was creamy. A third judge didn't notice any fruit flavors, but thought the beer was overcarbonated which "could indicate an infection."

Satan is coming Memorial Day, and we plan to sit down and sample these beers with all the score sheet is front of us.

UPDATE 1: Satan was not happy with this post. Here's what he wrote me:

My dear cousin....Satan speaking; I believe you have a slight typo...my Brother Spuds Oatmeal Stout scored a 40.5 in the first round and a 38.5 in the final...not a paltry 35. Please update your site as not to belittle my superb stout brewing abilities!

Sincerely,

Satan (esq.)

I stand corrected.

UPDATE 2: I hang out on the Beer Network Forums and several folks have reported similar experiences. Beers that won local contests got beat up at Nationals.

I'm glad we never entered the dunkelweiss anywhere else.

Labels: , ,


posted by hiikeeba at 07:06

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home