24 January 2006

AHS Winter's Cask Ale

I brewed my version of AB's Winter Cask Ale. I bought Austin Homebrew Supply's Value Line Amber Ale kit. It has 6 lbs of Amber malt extract, 1/3 lb Crystal 90L malt, and an ounce of Amarillo hops.

I put 2.5 gallons of water into my kettle. When it hit 150° F, I backed off the heat, and added the Crystal malt. I let it steep in the water as the temp coasted up to 155°. After removing the muslin bag of grain, and bringing the water to a boil, I added the malt extract. As soon as the mixture came to a boil, I added 2/3 oz of amarillo hops, and boiled for 45 minutes. Then I added 1 teaspoon of Irish moss to clarify the beer. At 55 minutes, I added 1/3 oz of amarillo hops.

Meanwhile, I put 8lbs of ice an 2.5 gallons of water into the fermenter. When I strained the wort into the fermenter, the final temperature was 89°. I took a hyrdometer reading and got 1047. AHS said I should get about 1045. I'm happy.

Now, to make this like A-B did theirs, I put 4 ounces of oak chips in a pint jar, poured 8 ounces of whiskey and an ounce of Mexican liquid vanilla over them. When I transfer to secondary, I will pour the beer over the oak chips.

Does anyone have any ideas for variations on this whiskey theme?


posted by hiikeeba at 18:54

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home