10 January 2006

Sanitation

They say "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." (In my house it's next to impossible.) But They are wrong. I checked the dictionary. Goggles is next to Godliness. Cleanliness is between Claustrophobia and Cleavage. (My writer is Gallagher.)

In brewing, everything that touches the extract must be clean. Everything that touches the beer must be sanitized.

The simplest method of sanitation is to use bleach. Use 1-2 ounces of household bleach per gallon of water. I let things soak 30 minutes, then rinse with hot water.

The next easiest way to sanitize is to use iodophor. According to the entry in Wikipedia, "Iodophor is an Iodine solution that is commonly used in dairies, and by homebrewers and home wine makers to sanitize equipment and bottles. Its major advantage to other cleaners is that when used in proper proportions it sublimates directly from solution to gas, and hence leaves no residues on your equipment. It is also non-toxic and safe for use in food processing equipment." The iodophor I use says to pour a capful of iodopher into five gallons of water. This stuff is great! But it will stain your fingers.


posted by hiikeeba at 21:58

1 Comments:

Blogger Benhamtroll said...

I haven't brewed anything in a LONG time (over a year and a half, at least, more like two), but I remember using Iodophor for all my sanitizing needs, due to the easiness of it.

I also remember having a VERY clean bath tub by the time my bottles were done . . . :-)

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home