29 July 2011

Pennsylvania Mulling Change in Liquor Laws

Normally, I wouldn't talk about other states' beer laws (Texas' laws are frustrating enough), but I ran across two articles about the possible privitization of liquor stores in Pennsylvania.  With the laws as they stand, when I go to Philadelphia for the 2013 National Homebrewers Conference, I could only by beer by the case at a distributor.  I wouldn't be able to go to a supermarket, say.  I could, however, buy a six pack at a bar or restaurant. (I could buy a bottle of wine at a restaurant, but I would have to open it, and have a sip before leaving.  But, since it's now an open container, I couldn't transport it home.) No singles, in other words.  Now the state is looking to privitize the liquor stores and make some reforms.  Good for them!

But. . .

"Beer distributors would be allowed to compete for the more than 1,200 retail liquor licenses that would be auctioned off," says an article at CBSPhilly.com.

Distributors selling directly to customers?  Could that be headed our way if it works well in Pennsylvania?

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 09:48

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Ignatz said...

Any change to my home state's laws involving alcohol have to be better than what they're doing now. You want Chimay? They have it...for $190 a case. Bottle shops are too few and it hurts craft beer. How many different beers are you going to try for $40-$50+ a case? Now a $6-10 bomber or 6 pk I'm willing to try. Time for a change PA!

10:26 AM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

I hope they are changed when we get to Philly for NHC. I want to pick an assortment of regional beers, but I don't want a whole case.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home