08 March 2010

All Citra West Texas Wheat - Tasting Notes

I brewed the All Citra West Texas Wheat to learn what Citra hops taste like. I brewed it on in the middle of January, and tapped it about a month later.

So what does Citra taste like? Pineapple, mango, and some citrus. Very tropical. So I thought I would score it.

All-Citra West Texas Wheat

Appearance (0-3): Pours up a slightly hazy, yellow gold with a dense white head that leaves nice lacing on the glass. 3 points
Aroma (0-4): Pineapple and pine hop aroma. Hard to describe. Maybe some citrus. Smells like mango, maybe? I'm not too familiar with mangos, but the aroma is kind of "fleshy," if you know what I mean. Not a bad aroma. I would give it a two, but they dry hopping did exactly as I planned so an extra point. 3 points
Taste: Hop/Malt Balance (0-4): Very hard to score this. There is a slightly sweet malt background, but the flavor is all fruity hops. It's very hop forward, in a Pliny the Elder sort of way. 3 Points
Aftertaste (0-3): Besides the fruity hops on the front of my tongue. Finishes with a nice bitterness on the back of the throat. Not too powerful, but noticeable. 2 points
Mouthfeel (0-3): Low to medium body. 2 points
Overall Impression (0-3): I really like this beer. It's addictingly drinkable. But the Citra has a round profile that could be accentuated with a more citrusy hop, like Simcoe or Amarillo to punch through the fruit flavor. 2 points

Total: 15 Points

I want to rebrew the same base recipe but with Simcoe or Amarillo so I can see what would go best with the Citra hops. These hops are nice, and I can't wait to use them again.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:21

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home