30 December 2012

Shiner FM 966 Farmhouse Ale - A Review

I found this at my local honey hole, and was surprised.  The Spring Seasonal 19 days after the first day of Winter? Oh well, why not?

Appearance (0-3): Pours up a crystal clear golden color with a thin, quickly fading head. 1 point.

Aroma/Bouquet (0-4): There are hints of grain and citrus, but it doesn't have a strong aroma at all. 3 points

Taste (0-10): Slight graininess, hints of hops and citrus.  I can taste the "Belgian" in it, but it is muted and very subtle. I has a slightly bitter finish with some grain. Reminds me of a Farmhouse ale. The malt hop balance is good, as there isn't much of either in the flavor.  Low carbonation, which is out of style. 7 points 

Overall Impression (0-3): A few years ago, Jimmy Suaric, the brewmaster at Shiner, correcting my explanation of one of the seasonals by saying, "Our interpretation of the style!" And this is their interpretation of the style. I can taste the style in there. But it's very subtle.  And since it's available here in Paradise, it gets 3 points

Total: 14 points

Labels: ,


posted by hiikeeba at 08:00

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home