16 December 2011

JZ's BYO APA -Tasting Notes

I've mentioned that I am not a fan of cloudy beers.  Something about them doesn't appeal to me, unless they are black. So I let this sit a couple of weeks and thought I would sample it and see how I did

Appearance (0-3): Pours up a milky, cloudy with a thin white head.  1 Point

Aroma/Bouquet (0-4): Faint notes of citrus and pine. The aroma has faded quite a bit since I kegged it. 2 points

Taste (0-10):  Starts of with a bit of malt sweetness on the front of the tongue, then the piney hops come through on the back of my tongue on the finish. Not bad, but a bit too piney for me. The piny flavor lingers quite a while after the pint.  (I like the grapefruit flavors more.  I couldn't get Simcoe, so I substituted Northern Brewer.  Not a traditional hop, but according to the hop flavor wheel in Brewing Classic Styles, Northern Brewer was the closest I could get to that flavor. If you have any suggestions for a different substitution, please post them in comments.) Medium carbonation and mouthfeel. Not bad. 8 points.

Overall Impression (0-3): I confess that I am of two minds about this beer.  I like the flavor, but I hate looking at it.   2 points

Total: 13 points

While the score I gave this is a bit low, it's still a decent beer. I mentioned my cloudiness issue in the BN Forums, and someone suggested it may be the result of all the hops, instead of an infection of some sort, as I surmised. I noticed that Donn's Famous Horse Cram It In Brown Ale was pretty clear when I kegged it.  I will keep you updated.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 09:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home