18 September 2010

DFW Beercation Stop 2 - Gingerman Fort Worth

Note: Thanks to my super fabulous iPhone which won't sync, I have lost the photos for the rest of the trip, and my phone has reset to my last good backup on July 3.

The secondary goal of our trip to the Metroplex, was to sample some Franconia beer. I had just read an article about the brewery. I had even tried to get them down to the local Oktoberfest, but the logistics were too daunting for them to make the trip. Paul at TexasBeer, and co-author of Beer Across Texas: A Guide to the Brews and Brewmasters of the Lone Star State, suggested I visit the Gingerman on Camp Bowie Road, a couple of miles north of TCU.

We arrived shortly after the place opened and were the fourth and fifth folks to arrive, if you count the beer salesman having a sandwich at the bar. We seated ourselves at the bar, and we drooled over the selection.

(512) Pecan Porter and Wit!? Dammit! I live less than 100 miles from the brewery and can't get it. I have to drive to frikkin' Fort Worth to find it? Geez! It might have been worse, I suppose, had I found Independence and Thirsty Planet there too.

Ahem! Please excuse the outburst.

The bartender was Molly, a short, dark haired, no-nonsense lady who had a pretty smile and twinkling eyes. (I told her Paul sent me, and she told me to give him a message. More on that later.) I spotted the Franconia Spelt tap and asked for a pint. She gave me the once over, and said, "Let me pour you a sample first."

Butterscotch beer. And I hate butterscotch. Sigh. Maybe another day, Franconia!

I started off with a (512) Pecan Porter! Ah! Bliss! I forget what Satan had. Frankly, I forget what I had after that. We stayed at Gingerman for three hours, sampling beers neither of us can get where we live as more and more people began streaming in. At 6 pm, we left and headed for our motel in Denton, where one of Satan's friends live and had promised that we would go drinking with.

I let Satan drive.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:17

3 Comments:

Blogger assurbanipaul said...

Franconia makes some absolutely perfect beers but they all have one fatal flaw: shelf life. After a couple of weeks, a Franconia tap is not worth drinking, no matter the style.

11:11 AM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

In some ways that's a good thing, I guess. You know the beer is fresh when it tastes good. But I had been looking forward to trying their beer for a long time.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Trenton said...

Yeah, that kolsch and their winter wheat are real winners. That Gingerman is a great little bar in a great part of town. Glad you had good experiences in my neck of the woods.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home