27 August 2009

Fan Cans become Tempest in a Teapot

Jay Brooks at Brookston Beer Bulletin posted a nice editorial about Budweiser's Fan Cans and the all too predictable outcry it has created. School administrators argue that the cans will cause underage drinking and binge drinking and do not want the cans distributed near the schools. If the argument was simply about the copyright, I could understand it. But I don't see how an orange and white can without the school name on it will cause retailers to sell beer to minors.

I suspect it is simply all about the copyright, and has nothing to do with alcohol consumption. Otherwise, the schools would prohibit the selling of officially licensed can koozies with the school logo on it. The University of Texas apparently doesn't have a problem with underage drinkers using their koozie.

As far as I know, the University of Texas has not commented on this, though I expect them too shortly. I am a UT grad, and this was the first Google search I did. You could as easily Google "Michigan can koozie" and find one to buy and slip over your silver Bud Light can.

Lord save us from Idiots and Neo-Prohibitionists!

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 09:39

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home