24 August 2009

CRISIS! My Beer Won't Pour.

I had to replace the distributor on my CO2 tank. So when I got it hooked up I tried to pour a glass of H2DC. For quality control purposes, of course. A bit of trub got stuck halfway up the beer line, but nothing else came out. I cleaned the line, and tried again. Nothin'. Changed the beer out quick connect and got bupkiss. All I can figure is that the dip tube, or the out post is clogged. As I see it, here are my options:

Vent the gas from the plugged up keg, disassemble the out side. Clean the post and dip tube, sanitize and reassemble. Try again. Repeat as necessary. Upside: Less moving beer around. Downside: huge contamination potential.

I have three empty kegs (Sad, really.). I would sanitize one of the kegs and put a drain connection on the “in” line turn it on it’s side and transfer into the newly cleaned one. And then surgery time on the busted one. But I foresee a big mess on the floor with this method. Downside: Moving the beer around, possible resuspending the trub in the beer.

Siphon? I would purge the second corny with CO2 first, naturlich. That would minimize oxidation, but again it's moving the beer around.

The lazy part of me hopes that I just have a diptube full of gunk and one cleaning can fix it. The pragmatic part of me thinks it will take several cleanings. I want maximm beer and minimum work.

Unfortunately for me, siphoning will be the best option, I think.


posted by hiikeeba at 03:32

3 Comments:

Blogger Danny said...

You should try cranking up your gas and hooking it up to the out post of your keg. It might happen again but in the past this has gotten me out of a jam when I dry hopped with loose pellets in the keg.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

hook the gas line up to the out post and pull the gas release, if its plugged with something hopefully this will force it out until you can kill the keg, then do a real cleaning

5:55 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

Perfect! Worked like a charm. Thanks.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home