18 May 2009

Buddy's Amber - Bluebonnet Brew-Off Scores

Well, there's good news and there's bad news.

In the first round, Buddy's Amber scored 39 out of 50! If you will recall, this scored a 35 at the New England Regional homebrewing competition last year, saying it was too hoppy. I got a 28 at Dixie Cup because they wanted more malt. So I cut back the hops and brewed Buddy's Amber again. I just got the scores back from Bluebonnet, and thought I would share them.

In the first round, the judges (no rank indicated) noted spicy, piney hop aroma with some caramel malt in the background with some pepper notes. (One judge wanted more caramel). They both thought it was a little too light colored, not too hazy, and had good carbonation.As far as the flavor goes, they both thought it had a little clove phenol in it. Neither disliked it, but noted it as being out of style. They thought it could use a bit more carbonation. They both liked it, except for the clove, and one suggested I use a starter. They both gave me a 39 out of 40, which advanced the beer to the second round. And that's when the wheels fell off.

In the second round, the judges, both recognized, had issues with the metallic phenols. They scored the beer 24.5.

It is possible that they got a bad bottle. I do not discount that possibility, but I think they got a good one. I can taste that metallic flavor in the background of the beer, and thought it was typical of the ambers I have had in the past.

So, no medal for me.

Labels: ,


posted by hiikeeba at 01:48

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home