16 May 2009

Flatonia Bock Tasting Notes

Once more, in anticipation of getting my Bluebonnet and NHC scores, I resampled Flatonia Bock.

A few months ago, I brewed Flatonia Bock. Flatonia is close to Shiner, so I was hoping for something close to Shiner Bock. After sampling, I dubbed it Paint Rock Bock, because it wasn't very close.

I have touched on this before, but the following score is to style, with Shiner Bock as a "perfect" beer.

Paint Rock Bock Tasting Notes

Appearance (0-3): Dark, dark, dark! Almost black with ruby highlights and a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly. It's pretty, but a bit dark. 1 point
Aroma/Bouquet (0-4): Some sweet malt, overpowered by a roast flavor. No hops detected. Not bad, but not Shiner. 2 points
Taste: Hop/Malt Balance (0-4): No hops detected. Malt flavor is a bit low, except for the roast flavor. 2 points
Aftertaste (0-3): The roast just lingers and lingers, without at malt background to hang it on. 2 points
Mouthfeel (0-3): A little thin. Just like Shiner Bock. 3 points
Overall Impression (0-3): A nice beer. No Shiner Bock, but nice. 2 points

Total: 12 points

In retrospect, next time I brew this I will not use roasted barley. Maybe some pale chocolate, instead.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 03:09

2 Comments:

Blogger assurbanipaul said...

Shiner is a poor example of a true bock, if that's your standard.

10:04 AM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

Actually, I was trying to make an American Dark Lager, like Shiner Bock is. I like to call Shiner a "Texas Bock--Not a real bock." The name was a joke. Apparently, not a good one.

I went to UT. Shiner Bock is in my blood.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home