18 February 2009

Old Colonial Porter Tasting Notes

Satan was going over an old issue of Zymurgy and became fascinated by an old colonial porter recipe that included licorice root and molasses boiled together. He brewed it one day in November, with the warning that the root boiling should be done outside.

Old Colonial Porter

Appearance (0-3): Pours up an inky blank with a tan head that dissipates quickly. 2 points

Aroma (0-4): Some anise like aromas, with the hint of oak. 3 points

Taste: Hop/Malt Balance (0-4): Sweet malt starts off, licorice notes slide across the tongue reminding me of Dr Pepper, leaving an oaky finish. Some age might take the edge of the oak. It's a little too strong. 3 points
Aftertaste (0-3): A little vanilla and caramel in the finish, like a cross between Dr. Pepper and a root beer. 2 points
Mouthfeel (0-3): Medium full body with a little carbonation tingle. 1.5 points

Overall Impression (0-3): Surprisingly drinkable beer, though I am almost always saying "That taste like Dr. Pepper!" There is some alcohol in the beer, but it is not readily apparent. 3 points

Total: 14.5 Points

This scored lower than I thought it would because I do like this beer. Maybe it reflects my soda impressions. With some age, though, this should be really nice.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 03:48

1 Comments:

Blogger Beer Ninja said...

Hi Jeff, this is Manny in Midland. I emailed Gary to see if he still has any Old Colonial, I would love to taste it. Hopefully he still has some and I can swap him out some bottles with some of my brew. Do you still have any of your rye pepercorn bock? Gary gave me a bottle in December but someone (drunk prez of the club) ended up drinking it. If you do, I got a few bottles I can trade with you. Thanks!!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home