10 September 2008

Say it Ain't So!

From Osama bin Laden Owes Me $400

By this time it was shortly after noon, and we decided to find the Old Dominion Brew pub. I had read a review in the local paper of their stout, aged in bourbon barrels. We drove across town, past Dulles, where my family had flown in 1975 or so. Then, Dulles was in the country. Today, strip centers, malls, and apartment complexes surround it. Now the Redskins have a practice complex in the area, and AOL is headquartered nearby. Had I known where I would have gladly thrown a rock through Steve Case's window.

We found the brewpub after a couple of wrong turns, and went inside for lunch. I had a great chicken sandwich, and three glasses of the bourbon flavored stout. When the waitress asked if we wanted dessert I toyed with the idea of asking for another beer, but a sudden belch prevented me from speaking clearly.

And now, according to the Old Dominion Web site, "Coastal Brewing Company has decided to close the Old Dominion Brewpub in Ashburn, VA, which the company acquired in 2007 with the acquisition of Virginia-based craft brewer Old Dominion Brewing Company. The brewpub closing is effective August 25, 2008."

One of my last, pre-9/11 memories is just that: a memory. But, Ahhh! the beer!

My cousin, Steve, has a friend in the area, and is a lot more familiar with the pub than I, and he is a little upset, too: "What a friggin' bummmer, that was such a cool place, literally best AC unit around!"

According to the announcement, Coastal Brewing will continue to brew Old Dominion beers (including the Best Beer on the Planet: Oak Barrel Stout), thankfully, but will only sell them at retail.

Bastards.

I was thinking that next time I head that way, I would fly into Dulles and stop by for a pint or three. Now, I might as well fly into Richmond.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 11:50

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home