02 September 2008

The Great Wheat Experiment

I did a bit of research, and boy, is my brain tired! The base recipe for hefeweiss and American wheat are the same. American wheat OG is 1040-1055, and hefe is 1044-1052. Both beers use 50% wheat and 50% malt. The only difference is the yeast. Hefeweiss IBUs are 8-15. American wheats are 15-30. I asked Satan if we could mash a 10 gallon batch of wheat beer, and split into two boils. Satan suggested that instead we boil in one kettle, hop to 15 IBUs then split it into two fermenters and pitch a different yeast in each? "You're a hop head. Try the mild side of life!" he said. "I believe the key word was 'experiment!' Let's give it a shot and see."

We've set aside the weekend of 9/5 to brew. And I began working on the recipe.

The last time I brewed with Satan's setup, we got 90% efficiency. So I initially calculated the recipe with that figure in mind. However, upon consultation, we decided to go with 80% efficiency because of all the grain:

Hefeweiss
American Wheat

9 lbs German wheat malt
9 lbs German Pale malt
1 lb Rice hulls
2.25 oz Hallertauer Mittlefruh ~3%/60 Min

WLP380 Hefeweizen Yeast
WLP320 American Hefeweiss

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 10:38

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home