10 December 2007

Thinking of Quitting Again

Well, I tasted my Yule Ale. It's bitter. Kind of a harsh bitterness that isn't from the hops. Story time: I kegged the beer and left the keg in my room a couple of days. I set a box on top of the keg. When I got ready to take the keg outside, there was a brown cloud-shaped growth along the edge of the lid. I thought I'd had secondary fermentation in the keg and it pushed it's way out the lid. There was no pressure on the keg when I lifted the vent valve. So maybe it's contaminated. Shit. I used to be kinda good at this.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 20:40

3 Comments:

Blogger Keith Brainard said...

Don't give up man. I went through a rough spell this summer. I tried making high gravity beers, and none of them came out right. One had really high FG and a wicked DMS flavor. One was fine until I dosed it with corn sugar when I transferred to secondary - this infected it and seemed to kill the yeast. One just wouldn't carb and had some sort of off-flavor.

But it all passes. Now I am making beer that I'm happy with again, and if you can make your way through this difficult time, you will too!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Did you add spices? Are they causing the bitterness? If that's the case, they tend to lessen over time.

11:00 AM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

I added Cardamom and vanilla. I've made the recipe before, but never experienced this flavor. Oh well, it's in the keg and aging for a couple more weeks.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home