08 December 2007

Hookarm's Christmas Beer - Not so Great

Hoo-kay! An unbiased scoring.

Hookarm's Christmas Beer

Appearance (0-3): Very cloudy brown with an off white head that dissipates slowly. 1 point
Aroma/Bouquet (0-4): Ginger aroma dominates. There is some sweetness, but it's all ginger. Smells really great! 3 points
Taste (0-10): Hop/Malt Balance (0-4): This is tough. There is some malt sweetness, but the ginger flavor is immense. It's almost bitter, like hops. It's almost too much. 3 points
Aftertaste (0-3): Again, the ginger flavor dominates, but there is an slightly unpleasant hop bitterness at the back of the tongue. 1 point
Mouthfeel (0-3): Full mouthfeel, nicely carbonated. 3 points
Overall Impression (0-3): I like it. But the cloudiness and the bitterness bring this one down. 1 point
Total: 12 Points

I don't hate this beer. On the other hand, I'm not in love with this beer. I served this at my employer's Christmas Party. Someone said it was rough around the edges. I don't disagree with that. I think the beer is unbalanced. I just don't know what is missing. It needs some sweetness to cut the bitterness.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 20:44

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home