18 August 2007

Kentucky Common quick sample notes

Yesterday, I sampled the Kentucky Common beer. Talk about tart! It's a pretty dry beer, not much residual sweetness, and the sour taste almost overwhelms the flavor. I didn't notice any hop flavors, but they may have been masked by the sour taste.

I'm going to let it age two more weeks. I will use my new Beer Gun to bottle a six pack to take to Satan for his evaluation.

I know I'm on the right track, though. Once I get my mashing under control, I should be making a pretty nice beer.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 14:09

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm no expert, having only done one all-grain batch myself (in my kitchen, no less), but you might have an easier time with the maize if you tried it all-grain.

By the way, I'm very interested in this Kentucky Common style. The sourest beer I ever tried was Lindeman's Framboise, which isn't really very sour. Is the tartness tasty? What would be the best occasion for drinking it? Dinner? Afternoon on the front porch?

10:54 AM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

You're right. But I'm going to try it next with an extract with corn already in it. When, and if, I use flaked maize again, I'll have to cook it first, then sparge it, add that corn liquor to the boiling kettle. And, to cut the bitterness, I will also add anise.

The tartness is tasty, and seems to me to compliment the hop bitterness. I think it would be an excellent beer for the porch. Because it is a strong flavor, I would pair it with barbecue, pizza or gumbo--something with a strong, spicy flavor.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home