26 April 2007

Hookarm's Kentucky Common 3.0

I ordered the ingredients on April 18 for the latest version of Kentucky Common. I thought I would add rye and flaked maize to the grain bill to give it a more authentic mix of grains. Kentucky common is, essentially, what whiskey before distillation.

Hookarm's Kentucky Common 3.0
2 pounds flaked maize
1 pound flaked rye
1 pound carapils dextrine malt
4 oz chocolate malt
3 pounds Dark DME
1/4 oz Wye Target 11%/60 min*
3/4 oz Willamette 5%/20 minutes
*The hops were left over from the Real Ale Brewhouse Brown Ale Clone recipe.
Mash the grains in 3 gallons water for 60 minutes at 155F. Sparge and add the extract. Dissolve well and boil.

I poured the grains into a steeping bag, and it looked like a parfait. I dropped it in the water and went about sanitizing my fermenter.

It's been awhile since I've used flaked maize, and I remembered something: It cakes when it gets wet. When I emptied the bag after an hour, the grains came out of the bag with no problem, the corn had become a thick disc that was hard on the outside, and completely dry on the inside!

My OG came in at 1.030, instead of the predicted 1.050. But it tasted good.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 15:24

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home