20 October 2006

Kentucky Common Batch #1 - 2nd tasting notes

It took me long enough!

I had been trying to get together with my brewing partner for a couple of months and sample this. He's been busy, so I finally decided to try Kentucky Common Batch One myself.

This poured up dark brown with red highlights, and a nice tan head that dissapated rapidly.

The aroma was kinda mediciney, which I attribute to the anise seed. Speaking of anise seed, I am not a licorice guy.

The taste is dominated by licorace from the anise seed, with a bit of the sourness from the Belgian Ale yeast. A small bit.

I have to admit that this isn't bad. I don't think it's great, but it's not bad. Now that I know what the anise does to the beer, I won't do it again. Ever.

I used small herb balls to hold my hops, and there is little detectable hop flavor. Next time, I'll let the hops float loose.

I'd give this a 5 out of 10.


posted by hiikeeba at 18:31

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home