22 December 2010

Ranger Creek Mesquite Smoked Porter

On December 12, I drove to San Antonio because I heard that Ranger Creek OPA and Mesquite Smoked porter were on tap at the local Flying Saucer. I told my nephew, and (since he had taken the brewery tour with me) he wanted to join me.

Naturally, the beer I really wanted to drink, the OPA, had run out. (MAKE MORE!) I didn't take good notes. My nephew brought one of the boys with him, and he kept our conversation from getting too close to beer, but here's what I wrote in my 33 Beers journal:

"Jet black, thin tan head (probably because of the pour, not a flaw with the beer).  Nice malt flavor, subtle roast lingers in the finish, along with a light smoke flavor." I gave it four and a half out of five stars.

Live Oak Brewing's Primus Wiezenbock was on tap, and I had to have a pint of that. Another great beer! I finished the trip with a Real Ale Coffee Porter.

Both my nephew and I were disappointed that Jester King hadn't arrived in San Antonio. I guess that means I have to go to Austin. . .

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:16

2 Comments:

Blogger Chance said...

If you make it into Austin Black Star Co-Op has had Jester King and Ranger Creek on tap for about a month. Plus they have some interesting house beers and a large variety of other Texas brews.

12:05 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

Thanks for the tip. Black Star is on my list of places to visit. It's just that everything in San Antonio is on "my side" of town. Except for Uncle Billy's, everything is on the "wrong side" of Austin. After the New Year. . .

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home