18 May 2010

Saison D'Hiver NHC scores

I got my scores from NHC and while my average scores are rising, I still suck. Saison D'Hiver, if you will recall, scored rather low at Alamo City Cerveza Fest because I entered it in the Christmas beer category. Beers is that category should be based on English strong ales only. This is not specified in the style guidlines, but is enforced on the competition level. At least, if my scores from ranked BJCP judges are any indication.

Saison D'Hiver scored 30 points overall. Judge One, a BJCP recognized judge and a pro brewer, said it had an "adhesive strip" aroma, and concluded by saying the beer wasn't dry enough, but the cinnamon was "well-played." Judge Two, another pro brewer but not a BJCP judge, said the aroma was slightly spicy and the cinnamon was well-balanced, and gave me 10 of 12 for that. Judge One gave me 5 of 12. They flip-flopped on the taste scores. Judge Two did put his finger squarely on the problem with the beer, as I see it: The cinnamon was too overpowering

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 07:37

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home