24 December 2009

Jester King Das WUNDERKIND!

Jeffrey Stuffings, owner of Jester King Brewery, sent me a couple of bottles of beer as samples, and he allowed me to post my reviews. The second review will be posted in January.

I opened the Das WUNDERKIND! first. I'm a sucker for American wheat ales. Here's the info from the website:

Das WUNDERKIND! is an American wheat ale heavily hopped with a blend of Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe and fermented with a clean, crisp California ale yeast strain. It's a session beer with a fairly low ABV and simple grain bill, but flavorful as all hell with copious amounts of hops late in the boil and dry hops after fermentation. It's delicious with foods such as salads, sushi or vegetable dishes.

Das WUNDERKIND!
Appearance (0-4): Typical foamy wheat when poured into a glass. Huge, creamy off-white head that dissipates slowly. A little too slowy, it turns out. I have to nurse the beer into the glass. It's a hazy golden/amber. 3 points.
Aroma/Bouquet (0-3): Citrus hop aroma dominate the aroma. Very West Coast. Who knew an American Wheat could be so fragrant. 3 points
Taste: Hop/Malt Balance (0-4): Some wheat graininess with slightly fruity/citrusy hops. 4 points
Aftertaste (0-3): mild itrus hop finish with some iced tea like astringency. Kind of like a lemon ice tea. 3 points
Mouthfeel (0-3): Slightly creamy mouthfeel, not too carbonated. 2 points
Overall Impression (0-3): American wheats are often bland and lifeless. The Amarillo and Simcoe hops are a nice compliment, and remind me of Pliny the Elder. I ned to experiment with those in my wheat beers. 3 points
Total: 18 Points

I emailed Jeff and told him he would have to make sure that this beer would be for sale here in Paradise, because it is my new favorite beer!

Labels: ,


posted by hiikeeba at 07:22

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home