30 January 2008

Skirt Lifter Imperial Hefeweizen

Frankly, I don't understand the whole "Imperial" thing. There are Imperial Stouts, Imperial Pale Ales, Imperial Pilsners, and Imperial Oktoberfests. I'm sure someone, somewhere is even toying with an Imperial Dopplebock.

Anyway, I ran across a recipe on the Brewing Network Forums a while back (can't remember who posted it, I think it was Bub), and added it to my list of things to try. Now, many months later, I think I am ready to try it.

Skirt Lifter Imperial Hefeweiss
12 lbs wheat malt extract
1/4 oz Horizon 13%/60
1/4 oz Argentine Cascade/5
1/4 oz Argentine Cascade/0
2 vials WLP300 Hefeweis yeast
Est. OG 1.072

Northern Brewer had the 60-40 Wheat malt extract I was looking for, but no European hops. I couldn't even find any hops below 12% AAU ! The Argentine Cascade, the site informed me, are not a substitute for American Cascadem but for Hallertauer. We'll see.

Update: It was Bub who posted the original recipe on The Brewing Network Forums.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:43

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill Night said...

Widmer did an "Imperial Wit" for the Oregon Brewer's Festival last year. I thought it was great, but I know a lot of people who hated it, even some people who generally like a Wit.

I guess imperial just means "strong" now.

11:31 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

That's my assumption, too. Someone on the Brewing Network Forums said they maid an "Imperial Mild." Another poster asked after seeing the recipe, "Why not just call it an English brown ale?"

I'm not someone who chases alcohol. But this sounded interesting.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home