20 July 2007

Doc Scott's Coconut Chocolate Stout

As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to brew Coconut Chocolate Stout again. I did some research and was going to buy all the ingredients and give you an original recipe. Then I remembered that Austin Homebrew Supply has a double chocolate stout kit. I will follow their instructions, and when I keg the beer, I will add 1/4 tsp of coconut extract.

Mmmm. German chocolate beer.

Actually, I want to try something different, this time. The kit comes with a small amount of cocoa powder that is added to the priming sugar and water. The problem is that when you keg this, the first twelve or so pints are coated with a gritty coat of cocoa that looks like mud. So I am going to add the chocolate to the beer in secondary, and hope the flavor carries through into the keg.

What have I got to lose?

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 08:07

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the Chocolate Oatmeal Breakfast Stout we brewed, we added dark and sweet chocolate at the end of boil. It melted quickly and after racking it to secondary and then to the bottling bucket in our case I noticed none of the sludge. It was there when I moved it to secondary and even a minor amount when going to the bottling bucket. But the end result was a fantastic beer with hints of chocolate. Our beer had coffee in it as well, the next go around we talked about going with less coffee, although the chocolate came through fine in my opinion.

4:14 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

Thanks, Scott. I think I'll try that next time. What amount of chocolate did you use?

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home