16 July 2007

Kentucky Common Contest Beer to secondary

It seems I am making the same mistake today that I made in Denver on Saturday. I just transferred the Kentucky Common to secondary. It needs to clear some. It's a dark brown color, not black, as I'd hoped. I used pale malt extract instead of extra dark. The aroma has a sour smell. I used Belgian sour yeast with several strains of bacteria. The beer has a sour finish, that seems to be accented by the hops. It's about 3% alcohol, so there's no heavy alcohol flavor, making it pretty smooth. I know it's green, so I'll give it a three out of five.

The Belgian sour yeast worked perfectly. I'll use it when we brew the beer for competition. I'm going to try this with Williams Brewing's American extract (80% malt and 20% corn) and mix up the specialty grains. I used Carafa 450L, black patent, chocolate, and Crystal 60L (I was hoping this would give red highlights. I think it just made the beer dark brown.)

My mistake? Having beer at 9 am.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 09:40

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

And I just found out (the hard way) that it is illegal to buy beer before noon on a Sunday. And apparently 11:55 is not close enough.

12:05 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

Clock Nazis!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home