06 October 2012

Prickly Pear Bear - Brew day

I'm gonna need more fruit.

I added a pound to prickly pear to my base blond ale recipe.  Initially, it looked like the beer had turned red, but when I checked the gravity, it was a deep gold.

I was shooting for 1.054 OG, but wound up at 1.047. I added my starter and it had started fermenting overnight.

The only other change I made was adding 3 oz of Citra at flameout.  I have a feeling that was too much, and may overwhelm the apple and watermelon flavor of the pears.

posted by hiikeeba at 09:00

2 Comments:

Blogger Passionate Conservative said...

I'd be curious to know your recipe for prickly pear. I've tried the Shiner and was impressed.

6:35 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

It was just a blond ale. I got the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I added the fruit to the boil at about 10 minutes, something I learned from Extreme Brewing.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home