14 January 2010

Cigar City Brewing's Improvisacion Review

Every year, The Brewing Network Army has a Secret Santa beer exchange that is organized on the forums. This year, I received a sixer of homebrewed Oktoberfest, and a bottle of Cigar City Improvisacion (an Oatmeal Rye India-Style Brown Ale), and a saison from Saint Somewhere Brewing. I shared the saison with the nephew, and didn't write any tasting notes. But I did make some notes about Improvisacion.

Cigar City Improvisacion

Appearance (0-4): Pours up a cloudy, opaque brownish black with a dense, long lasting, tan head that never seems to fall. 3 points

Aroma/Bouquet (0-3): Faint malt sweetness, dark fruit aromas, a bit of oats and some pepper notes from the rye. Maybe. It was pretty faint and I just might be reaching a bit. I would have liked a bit more aroma. 2 points.

Taste: Hop/Malt Balance (0-4): I wasn't sure what to make of this from the label. I was a little worried I wouldn't like it. Caramel malt notes, with a bit of hoppiness. Not too noticable. Are you sure this isn't an oatmeal stout? 3 points
Aftertaste (0-3): Finishes bitter at the back of the tongue. Also a subtle tartness that builds as the beer is consumed. 2 points
Mouthfeel (0-3): Definite oat silkiness, with good carbonation. 3 points

Overall Impression (0-3): Not a bad beer, but confusing. It reminds me of Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout in a way. It was certainly nice of 'em to print "Bottle Conditioned. Please Pour Gently." vertically on the label so you have to tip the bottle to read it. I liked it, but am still very confused. 3 points

Total: 16 Points

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 09:26

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home