18 November 2009

Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter Review

Manny, one of the Basin Brewers, gave me a bottle of the Ken Schmidt-Maui Brewing-Stone Brewing collaboration, Kona Coffee macadamia Cococut Porter. To save time typing it over and over again, I'll call it Ambrosia.

Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Appearance (0-3): Pours up jet black and opaque, with a thick tan head that lingers and lingers. But the bubbles were a bit large, especially as it dissipated. 2 points
Aroma/Bouquet (0-4): Starts with a strong roast coffee aroma. Hints of chocolate, cream in the background. I can't tell if there's coconut, but who cares? Amazing aroma! 4 points
Taste: Hop/malt balance (0-4): Great balance, exactly as expected. 4 points
Aftertaste (0-3): Leaves a nice coffee finish with a lingering creamy sweetness on the back of the tongue. Some of it may be coconut, but it's hard for me to pick up. 3 points
Mouthfeel (0-3): Thick, full-bodied beer. Like a milkshake!! 3 points
Overall Impression (0-3): There are not enough superlatives for this beer. It's smooth, creamy and delicious. I enjoy coffee stouts and porters, but not the bitter roast that coffee can often give. Fredericksburg Brewing Company's Coffee porter is more like a cup of coffee, and made me wish for scrambled eggs. So did the Breakfast Stout at Back Country Brewing Company in Frisco, Colorado. This is a desert beer. This would have been great with the chocolate mousse I had at NHC in June. 3 points
Total: 19 points

Allow me to summarize, please. I do not believe there is a 20 point beer. Some approach it, and this is definitely one of those beers. I do not use half points or quarter points to judge beers. So 19 points is likely the highest score I will ever give. But, if I did do partial points, the score would be 19.9. An amazing beer. Wish I could get it here.

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 10:23

2 Comments:

Blogger sandi said...

Sweet Creamery Butter!! I want to taste this beer! How does a person residing in Virginia even get close to this tasty delight? I must attempt to relax now or I will wear out my exclamation point key. But I swear to you that I am salivating like crazy. Drink up, and enjoy, you lucky tasters.

10:32 PM  
Blogger hiikeeba said...

Unfortunately, you might have to make a trip to California to get this beer. That's where this was purchased.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home