18 October 2008

Christmas Stout

Last year, while perusing The Master's Microbrewed Adventures, I ran across a chapter describing Christmas stout. Created in the 80s, the final digits of the Christmas Stouts ended in the last two digits of the year. Hence, in 1985, the OG was 1.085, in 1996, it was 1.096, etc.

Naturally, I discovered the book in 2007.

But I won't make a beer with an OG of 1.008. No! I shall make a 1970 version of Christmas Stout.

  • 9 lbs Dark LME
  • 1 lb Crystal 40
  • 8 ounces roasted Barley
  • 36 IBUs of Hallertauer and Cascade for 60 minutes
  • 3.5 IBUs of the same for 5 minutes
  • British ale yeast

Sorry I can't be more specific on the hops, but in the hop shortage, I have started doing more math.

This recipe makes an acceptable Imperial Stout, with an OG of 1070, about 40 IBUs. I had thought about adding some spices, but I think I might just make this without any spices. Maybe next year, when I may even move into the 1980s!

Anyway, I brewed this a couple of weeks ago, and got close to my numbers. The OG was 1.064, a bit shy of 1.071. But I liked the way the beer looked and the way it smelled. I have high hopes for this one!

Labels:


posted by hiikeeba at 07:48

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home